Thursday, March 13, 2008

Let kids be kids...

I found this article on the importance of imaginative play for children.  It caused me to think about a lot of things, but what it really lent me to thinking about was how controlled children's play has become.  Children do not need things to engage in productive play.  They really only need the capability and the permission to imagine.  The article also reminded me of something we have talked about in my Developmental Stages course--we were entertaining the idea that parents spend too much time structuring their child's play.  No wonder kids these days have no self-control; nobody allows them the time to develop it.  It is far past time that parents, schools, teachers, and toy companies give kids the opportunity to just be kids.

No comments: