Sunday, December 7, 2008

Mary Brigit Poppleton is Writing a Memoir

Last night I had the opportunity to see CCRI's production of Madeline Walter's Mary Brigit Poppleton is Writing a Memoir.  I went to see my cousin Elle perform in the role of Mary Brigit, and was simply excited to get a chance to see her perform.  It was a real bonus that the show was written in a way that it was both raw and polished at the same time.  The show follows the misadventures of 17 year old Mary Brigit who is both writing a memoir and struggling to get her family to pay even an inkling of attention to her.  In a moment of dinner table insanity, Mary Brigit both gets the attention of her family and finds a way to "fictionalize" her life in order to have fodder for her memoir--she tells her family she is pregnant.  The turmoil and hilarity that ensues is both side-splitting and gut-wrenching.  The cast did a phenomenal job at sucking me into the story in a very real way.  The talk-back session after the play was wonderful.  We, the audience, got to hear from the actors, the director, and even the playwright.  I honestly wish I had seen it earlier this week so that I would have had the chance to see it a few times.  

No comments: