Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Verse of the Day

There is no Holy One like the LORD;
there is no Rock like our God.
I Samuel 2:2 (NAB)

Background
    This verse is a portion of Hannah's prayer of praise to the Lord.  She was barren for many years and it pretty much made her miserable.  She prayed fervently one day at the temple promising to dedicate her child to the Lord if only God would give her a son; her praying was so intense that the priest at the temple thought her to be drunk.  She told the priest of her plight and he assures her that God will remember her.
   The next time Hannah and her husband Elkanah have relations with each other, Hannah concieves Samuel.  When Samuel has been born and subsequently weaned, Hannah brings him to the temple, dedicates him to the Lord, and leaves him to be trained up as a priest.  It is during this visit to the temple that Hannah takes the time to thank the Lord for his blessing her with a child and praising him for all that he is.

Personal Relevance

   Recently I have realized a depletion in my trust in the Lord.  I have been looking to the world and others to help be my stability.  Thankfully I have a wonderful fiancé who reminds me that when the going gets tough, I need to take an honest look at my prayer life and adjust as needed.  This verse serves as a good reminder to me that God is my rock, and if I want to be on solid ground I should stop relying on things with foundations made of sand.  I am not saying a perfect prayer life will eradicate all woes and hardships, but it will make them manageable.  Also since Hannah experienced great grief and then through prayer found her relief and found great joy, this verse gives me a measure of hope when I am in doubt.  Hannah also dedicates her joy to the Lord by offering up Samuel to his service.  It reminds me to be thankful and to offer up my joys and successes for the glory of the Lord.

No comments: